The Crew - Miss Fabulous, Lil Bro, Big Sis and Mr. Man

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

About My G I ... tract

As discussed in the post "my G I weekend" I had an endoscopy of my upper G I track done on July 2. The doctor found an esophageal ring, which he stretched and "busted". Sounds fun. No? The doctor took 2 biopsies or "bob-bopsy" if you remember My Big Fat Greek Wedding (the movie). The results of the biopsy came back that I have Eosinophilic Esophagitis, http://www.mayoclinic.org/eosinophilic-esophagitis/diagnosis.html.

It is not life threatening but it means that the problems I have had with dysphagia (difficulty swallowing solid food) is going to be a life long condition for me with periodic stretching of my esophagus required and medication therapy to keep this condition at bay as much as is possible.

Apparently I must have some kind of need to be special because my Gastroenterologist said that 18 years of practicing medicine and thousands of patients I am one of three who have this condition. Go me! I have asthma and skin allergies and every kind of allergy and about half of patients with this condition are found to also suffer from these other conditions.

This finding is also the cause of why I had such extreme and unusual pain following the endoscopy procedure.

No comments: