The Crew - Miss Fabulous, Lil Bro, Big Sis and Mr. Man

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Nighty Night

Why will that kid not go to sleep? I love my little 3-year-old joy but good grief already, go to sleep. The whole stay in your bed is a work in progress. I guess I need the super nanny to actually stop by the house. I don't know.
I stay and sit with him while he goes to sleep in his bed. He takes a 20-minute nap during the day while we pick up the big kids from school, that's it. Tonight I sat in that room for a stinking hour and a half. I was so sick of seeing those darn fish swimming and that tranquility elevator music playing that I wanted to pull my hair out. My sweet angelic baby boy of 3 years old flipped and flopped and flip flopped and tried this pillow and that pillow and hugged Lamby and then no Lamby and then sit up and me, "Lay down it's sleep time." More scooching and flipping and flopping and rolling around and and and. Good grief Charlie Brown Mom is going to lose it!
10 pm he finally went to sleep. Okay so I yelled first and then he went to sleep. It's not okay to yell Mom, stay in control of your voice tone. I have no doubt scarred him for life, he will now have nightmares so on and so forth and what have you. I am ashamed to say it but WHO CARES he went to sleep!

I am with my precious sunshine all day long, joy joy happy happy - we are. And then we have the afternoon homework dinner making combo routine and bath time and snack and bedtime and let's face it Mom lives for her 60 minutes of piece and quiet before she too gives way to sleep.


Ahem. Anyway, I am relaxing currently. And enjoying my me time.


Homework was brutal tonight! Never. Going. To. End. My word! The 5th grade math is getting on my nerves frankly. Then we have Science homework to cover and a Social Studies test to study for. I am happy to report that I know the exact location of Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio, a few others AND their capitals and their appreciations. I came up with a few little ditties like how we like to sing when we are at the great lakes of Michigan and it's capital Lansing. Or how our friend Madison likes to eat cheese in the great state of Wisconsin because Madison is the capital of Wisconsin. Or how our buddy Paul likes to drink soda in Minnesota who's capital is St. Paul. Bring on that 5th grade social studies test I would so ace it!


Did I mention that we still had to study for a spelling test? Let's just say it is a good thing that we did study because otherwise we would have received a big F on that test. I think we have it covered now.

And then there was mentoring my first grader who is so not getting first grade. Did I post that she has been placed in the mentor program at school to receive help with reading? I am waiting for the mentoring in math because you know and I know that 0+2=2 but I know a certain first grader who puts 0 any time there is a problem with 0 in it. As in 0+2=0. So yeah we're working on that.

She is bringing a lot of work home that she isn't finishing in class. I asked her why she wasn't able to finish and she said, "The teacher goes too fast." Okay, good enough. Nouns and what they are is not coming easy to certain first graders either. The little dog ran fast. Which word here is a person, a place, or a thing? Little? Which one is a person-animal, place or thing? Dog? Right!

She seems to do better with a lot of one on one help. She needs specific explanation and good hints to get the right answers.

And then there was an incident that occurred this evening. I will post about that later. Need to get some insight from the professionals on the matter.  At any rate, nighty night!

(art work by Robert David Bretz)

4 comments:

jessica bear said...

I swear, we live parallel lives with this whole sleep thing and homework thing!! lol
Kylie wants Dave to sit right outside her door until she falls asleep (and it has to be Dave-not me) and if he moves before she's asleep - watch out! And then, of course, at midnight or 3 or whenever she remotely wakes, she crawl into our bed and we're to tired to deal...I want Supernanny to come visit, too!

Dia por Dia said...

Look on the bright side, at least your first grader will be ready when she has to do multiplication ... :-)

The beauty of homeschooling is that I don't have those nightly homework sessions with my now 4th and 5th graders which should really have been call "fight" sessions! Good luck.

Mom 4 Kids said...

I think our parallel lives started when Viv and Serena were born a week apart! I can totally picture Dave sitting out side of Kylie's door waiting for the moment he can move. I can relate! Maybe we can have Supernanny come and split the cost, haha!

Mom 4 Kids said...

Dia, thanks for stopping by my blog. You are so right about her being ready for multiplication! I admire you for homeschooling!